Going with the money-saving theme this week, I wanted to talk a little bit about swap parties because, really, who doesn’t love shopping?
As I have said before, it is always a good idea to cut back and think before you buy, but sometimes you still want to acquire some new clothes or home goods. What better way to do that than with a swap party? Look at the ideas below to create a fun swap party with your friends and family. A swap party is exactly what it sounds like—a party where you trade gently worn items with friends and family.
1. Obviously, the first thing you need to do is pick a date. Saturday mornings are usually good for swap parties, but pick a day that works best with your friends.
2. Then decide what types of things you want to swap. Do you want it to be just clothes? How about baby products? Home goods? Decide what to swap and make a list so that your guests know what to bring.
3. Then you should start thinking about space. Where do you want to have the swap? If it is nice out, you can make a large batch of lemonade and set up some tables or towels outside. If you don’t have any towels, you could line the ground with old linen or clothes so that the clothes and swap items don’t get wet.
4. Next, you should create an e-invitation or paper invitation so that your friends know that the event is taking place. Make sure you let them know that this is a free swap event and if they bring items, they can take items.
5. On the day of the event, you will want to set everything up so that people can see the items. Every person should bring a bag or a box so that they can take their new items home with them. Spend a few hours going through the items and picking out ones that you need or ones that might fit your home. Then, when everyone is finished, package the rest of the items and take them to a donation center.
6. To follow up the event, you could see if your guests will share pictures of their “new items” in their new homes. If your friends really like it, this swap event might become a regular thing for you guys!
photo credit: throw her in the water via photopin cc